In this post we will look into the Joinmaster audio solution to create tight fit wood joints. In future posts we will compare the Jointmaster solution to other methods to create finger/ box or bridle joints.
The Jointmaster initiative is a Goodlife spin-off. On www.Goodlife.nu you can find a lot of pictures and examples what is possible using Jointmaster. You can also take a look on youtube. For example here.
The following components are necessary to do this yourself:
Why do you need these components ? That is what we will look into now:
- The Jointmaster program is Windows/ Android program that runs on any computer with Windows/ Android Operating System. Jointmaster is the brain behind the complete solution. Jointmaster can be downloaded here for free and contains the fully functional Windows executables.
- All movement is generated via the computer sound card/ mobile phone stereo jack. The line level amplifier, enable + direction control component is needed to amplify the audio signal from the computer to the voltage level needed by the step motor driver.
later upgrade to Jointmaster PRO. To see Jointmaster PRO running G-code look here:
- The optional safety switch prevents movement by means of a wire to the line level amplifier component. Make sure you read our safety and health post to understand the risks before ordering.
- The step motor power supply supplies 36 Volts power (at least 3 A) to the step motor driver. This is a standard component that can be bought all over the world and also on this site here.
- The step motor driver controls the step motor. This is a standard component that can be bought all over the world and also on this site here.
- The step motor + trapezium spindle converts the electrical signals into very precise movement (one step motor step results in 1/ 50000 mm movement). This is also a standard component that can be bought all over the world.
Jointmaster audio offers several product options in the shop to keep prices within budget:
- Almost ready to go kit including: Wooden frame, step motor, step motor driver, UL listed power supply 36 Volts, soldered line level amplifier in casing, stereo signal cable, Jointmaster software two licenses, power supply switch + protective casing for earth connection. This package weighs around 10 kg. Thus shipment cost can be considerable.
- Low budget kit A: You will have to integrate all components yourself according to the kit directions/ your own application. This kit offers the following optional service: We ask the step motor manufacturer for an offer that is sent to you. You pay directly to the step motor manufacturer using pay-pall. Thus you will have a working set-up but you are not our customer for step motor, power supply and step motor driver.
Thus the step motor, step motor driver and (non UL listed) 36 Volts power supply will be sent directly from China (Low budget kit A saves around 100 euro due to shipment, UL listing and customs cost). Soldered + tested line level amplifier (no casing to keep shipment cost down) + stereo signal cable is sent to you from Europe. Jointmaster software + two licenses for free. Shipment cost will be much lower because fits inside a small package. Note that you can also use low budget kit A if you already have a step motor + step motor driver + power supply.
- Low budget kit B: Only difference to Low budget kit A is that you have to solder and test the line level amplifier yourself (see here how to do it). A print + components + stereo cable is sent to you. You will save 30 euro compared to Low budget kit A.
- 10 dollar handyman kit. You save a lot of shipment, building and maintenance costs.